Location - Bristol or Glasgow
Our people are at the very heart of what we do, they are the reason our clients work with us to solve some of their greatest challenges. At Frazer-Nash, we want all of our people to feel they belong, confident in the knowledge that we value and respect the commitment they have made by entrusting their careers and expertise to us.
We are committed to fostering a working culture that brings out the very best in our people, regardless of their circumstances, identity or background. We want our people to be themselves, feel empowered to achieve their personal and professional goals, and know that we respect the unique value they bring to the company. In support of this, we encourage thoughtful behaviours and work to foster a collaborative working environment.
Our control and functional safety engineers undertake a range of projects across a number of sectors from manufacturing to civil nuclear sites and defence. The projects vary from small scoping and feasibility studies for modifications or upgrades to design of complex process plants including high integrity safety functions and advising on the development of safety critical systems.
Our work often has a safety critical element and interfaces with other teams within Frazer-Nash to deliver a multi-disciplined service offering, managing these interfaces and effective communication internally and to clients is an essential element of this role. Tasks undertaken include:
- Safety Requirements capture and derivation
- Design and Option Studies
- System architecture design
- Control philosophy and instrument selection
- Safety system reliability assessment
- SMART Instrument Substantiation
- Document review / verification
- Compliance assessment of processes and design artefacts against international and industry standards
- Planning and execution of qualification programmes, hardware and software testing.
The successful applicant will meet the following minimum requirements:
- Electronics or Control Systems degree
- Understanding 61508 – Standard for Safety Systems (or derivatives)
- Experience of control and safety system specification and design.
- CEng or working towards
- Experience in one or more Regulated Industries such as:
- Power Generation
- Oil & Gas
- Utilities (Water/Gas)
- Demonstrable ability to manage and mentor junior engineers
- Excellent communication and technical report writing skills
It is to your advantage if you meet any or all the following additional requirements:
- TUV Functional Safety Certified Engineer (ideally)
- Programmable Logic Controllers (in Safety Applications)
- SMART Instrument Substantiation / EMPHASIS
- Marine Platform Management (PMS)
- Alarm system design
- Obsolescence management
- Instrumentation selection
- Experience of Regulatory Interface Meetings
- EDF AV2 Qualified
Using software to enable ‘what-if’ calculations of both obstacle crossing and barrier design
Frazer-Nash and Dstl worked collaboratively to improve decision making on asset deployment by using software to enable meaningful ‘what-if’ calculations of both obstacle crossing and barrier design.