Locations considered - UK offices
Salary range £45,000pa - £65,000pa depending on experience
Closing date 3rd Dec, however we encourage early applications. .
Do you have experience of working in the maritime safety environment?
Do you want to deploy your skills and experience into projects that will provide tangible benefit to seagoing safety?
Do you want to be regularly challenged and learn new things?
Do you want to work for a successful company where you are valued and can make a meaningful impact?
At Frazer-Nash Consultancy we provide our clients with innovative and meaningful solutions to their problems. We operate across a range of industries spanning defence, transport and energy markets. We have a particularly strong presence in the maritime sector, with a diverse portfolio of clients across both defence and commercial marine, in the surface and sub-surface environments.
If you are interested in learning more about what we do in the maritime sector and some of the exciting opportunities on offer, then please read on and submit your application to join our growing team!
We have a number of engineering and consultancy roles available across our maritime technical axis, based in various locations around the UK and each with its own unique offering. Our main hubs for this type of work are Bristol, Plymouth, Warrington and Glasgow. Whilst it is desirable that you are located within commuting distance of one of these offices, we may be able to consider applicants located near one of our other main UK offices.
At Frazer-Nash we understand each person is unique and it is our aim to help guide you into the team and business area that is the best fit for you. So, if you have a strong desire or interest for a particular team or location described above, please let us know within your covering letter and application.
Frazer-Nash offers excellent opportunities for individuals with a background in maritime safety. We support ship and submarine safety throughout the CADMID lifecycle: from Concept phase such as the SSNR submarine campaign, Design and Build phase support to Dreadnought and Type 31 projects; we support In-Service projects for all submarine classes, Type 45 and QEC; and in Decommissioning, where we have compiled Laid Up Submarine Safety Case documentation for Devonport-based submarines at the end of their life. Below are a few examples of projects that we have been working on recently, to give you a flavour of the type of work you could get involved in:
- Helping the SSNR project stand up its Safety and Environmental Management System during concept phase, establishing the inaugural Safety Strategy, Safety and Design Principles and Safety Management Plan.
- Provision of SME advice and independent review of whole boat safety case documentation for the Dreadnought safety campaign, as well as assisting in the evolution of MoD Safety Management Arrangements and helping the project respond to emergent drivers, such as TOR(SM) v2.
- Providing safety management support to the Type 31 programme.
- Combining our knowledge of submarine and NSRP safety to produce Whole Ship Safety Case and Nuclear Safety Case documentation, for both current and future classes of submarine. We have successfully authored safety justifications to address known voids, especially for In-Service platforms where challenges exist around the need to extend current submarine operational service life.
- Undertaking an embedded role as Design Change Manager for the RN’s QE Class and T45.
- Authoring Naval Authority Certification submissions for key hazard areas, helping ISM demonstrate compliance with the latest DSA03-DMR requirements.
- Helping the MoD understand the safety implications of operating vessels in polar regions.
- Provision of Quality Management advice to a commercial shipping company to support their development of a prototype shaft line design for a foreign Navy.
- We have staff embedded in Devonport Dockyard and Faslane Naval Base, as well as teams working remotely, providing support to the upgrade and development of shore facilities and infrastructure to meet the ever-changing demands of the submarine programme.
Whilst this role is primarily maritime safety focussed, you will have the chance to use your skills and talents working across a diverse range of multi-disciplinary projects and industries, helping us deliver a safe and secure world against a backdrop of rapidly evolving technology, where natural resources are conserved, and clean energy is available to all.
Our maritime systems and safety assurance teams are interested in hearing from dynamic, high calibre individuals with a proven track record in maritime safety and assurance.
The following are essential requirements for this role:
- Several years’ experience of working in the maritime engineering environment (defence or commercial)
- Aptitude for problem solving and a willingness to take on new challenges
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to influence effectively
- Experience of working within multi-disciplinary technical teams
- A degree in a relevant engineering subject, such as Naval Architecture, Marine Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Ship Science, Safety Critical Systems
The following attributes are highly desirable for this role:
- Knowledge of surface ship and/or submarine safety cases and safety analysis techniques, including HAZID, hazard management, functional hazard assessment, Cat and Class, Safety Integrity Level (SIL) assessment, software safety assessment
- Experience in risk management and reduction, including ALARP assessments
- Understanding of the Regulatory interface and associated documentation
- Familiarity with Technical Assurance/Governance and Maturity Assessment of the Maritime CADMID cycle
- Experience of Independent Safety Audits
- Incorporated Engineer or Chartered Engineer status (or working towards this for our more junior roles)
- Project Management experience
- Commercial experience / awareness
Our people are at the very heart of what we do, they are the reason our clients work with us to solve some of their greatest challenges. At Frazer-Nash, we want all of our people to feel they belong, confident in the knowledge that we value and respect the commitment they have made by entrusting their careers and expertise to us.
We are committed to fostering a working culture that brings out the very best in our people, regardless of their circumstances, identity or background. We want our people to be themselves, feel empowered to achieve their personal and professional goals, and know that we respect the unique value they bring to the company. In support of this, we encourage thoughtful behaviours and work to encourage a highly collaborative working environment.
Due to the nature of the work that Frazer-Nash Consultancy undertake, candidates will be required to undergo pre-employment screening and must be able to satisfy clearance criteria for UK National Security Vetting. Candidates will be required to be UK national’s who are resident in the UK to be eligible to apply.