Locations considered - UK offices
Salary range £40,000pa - £55,000pa depending on experience
Closing date 3rd Dec, however we encourage early applications. .
Frazer-Nash offers excellent opportunities for experienced submarine SQEP individuals, whether you are looking for your second career upon leaving the submarine service, or you are already a service leaver working in industry but seeking a fresh challenge with an employer that really values your contribution.
Frazer-Nash embraces diversity, innovation, collaboration, and fulfilment as key elements of our inclusive culture. These themes underpin our continued success; helping us achieve sustainable business growth and providing ample opportunities for our people to develop their careers and to do things that really matter in the world.
You will have the opportunity to join one of several teams providing expertise to the submarine enterprise. Our main hubs for this type of work are Bristol, Plymouth, Warrington and Glasgow. Whilst it is desirable that you are located within commuting distance of one of these offices, we may be able to consider applicants located near one of our other main UK offices.
At Frazer-Nash we understand each person is unique and it is our aim to help guide you into the team and business area that is the best fit for you. So, if you have a strong desire or interest for a particular team or location described above, please let us know within your covering letter and application.
We support submarine platform safety through life, from Concept such as Dreadnought and SSNR; In-Service for Trafalgar, Vanguard and Astute Class submarines; and in Decommissioning, where we have compiled Laid Up Submarine Safety Case documentation for the Devonport platforms. Below are a few examples of projects that we have been working on recently, to give you a flavour of the type of work you could get involved in:
- Helping the SSNR project stand up its Safety and Environmental Management System during concept phase, establishing the inaugural Safety Strategy, Safety and Design Principles and Safety Management Plan.
- Provision of SME advice and independent review of whole boat safety case documentation for the Dreadnought safety campaign, as well as assisting in the evolution of MoD Safety Management Arrangements and helping the project respond to emergent drivers, such as TOR(SM) v2.
- Combining our knowledge of submarine and NSRP safety to produce Whole Ship Safety Case and Nuclear Safety Case documentation, for both current and future classes of submarine. We have successfully authored safety justifications to address known voids, especially for In-Service platforms where challenges exist around the need to extend current submarine operational service life.
- Authoring Naval Authority Certification submissions for key hazard areas, helping ISM demonstrate compliance with the latest DSA03-DMR requirements.
- Helping the MoD understand the safety implications of operating vessels in polar regions.
- Provision of Quality Management advice to a commercial shipping company to support their development of a prototype shaft line design for a foreign Navy.
- We have staff embedded in Devonport Dockyard and Faslane Naval Base, as well as teams working remotely, providing support to the upgrade and development of shore facilities and infrastructure to meet the ever-changing demands of the submarine programme.
Whilst this role is primarily submarine engineering focused, you will have the chance to use your skills and talents working across a diverse range of multi-disciplinary projects and industries, helping us deliver a safe and secure world against a backdrop of rapidly evolving technology, where natural resources are conserved, and clean energy is available to all.
We are committed to fostering a working culture that brings out the very best in our people, regardless of their circumstances, identity or background. We want our people to be themselves, feel empowered to achieve their personal and professional goals, and know that we respect the unique value they bring to the company. In support of this, we encourage thoughtful behaviours and work to encourage a highly collaborative working environment.
Due to the nature of the work that Frazer-Nash Consultancy undertake, candidates will be required to undergo pre-employment screening and must be able to satisfy clearance criteria for UK National Security Vetting. Candidates will be required to be UK national’s who are resident in the UK to be eligible to apply.
Our submarine systems teams are interested in hearing from dynamic, high calibre individuals with a proven track record in submarine engineering. You should have a genuine enthusiasm for submarines and be able to demonstrate an aptitude for problem solving and a willingness to take on new challenges.
The following are essential requirements for this role:
- In depth knowledge of submarine ship and propulsion systems
- Minimum Cat B experience, Cat A2 preferred
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to influence effectively
- Experience of working within multi-disciplinary technical teams
The following are desirable for this role:
- In depth knowledge and experience of NSRP systems and operations
- Knowledge / experience of working in submarine support organisations
- Incorporated Engineer status
- Project Management experience
- Knowledge of submarine safety cases and safety analysis techniques, including risk assessment and hazard management
- Application of ALARP and TOR(SM)
- Understanding of the Regulatory interface and associated documentation e.g. DSA 02-DMR, DSA 03-DMR, JSP 518, NSMAs
- Experience in the provision of Technical Assurance and Technical Governance