Our people are at the very heart of what we do, they are the reason our clients work with us to solve some of their greatest challenges. At Frazer-Nash, we want all of our people to feel they belong, confident in the knowledge that we value and respect the commitment they have made by entrusting their careers and expertise to us.
We are committed to fostering a working culture that brings out the very best in our people, regardless of their circumstances, identity or background. We want our people to be themselves, feel empowered to achieve their personal and professional goals, and know that we respect the unique value they bring to the company. In support of this, we encourage thoughtful behaviours and work to foster a collaborative working environment.
Digital Assurance Engineer
Aerospace, Software, Defence, Nuclear, Rail
Potential for flexible location: Bristol, Burton, Dorchester, Dorking, Glasgow, Gloucester, Plymouth, Warrington
We are looking to recruit Software Assurance Engineers to join our rapidly growing Digital Systems Assurance team. Our current and emerging work streams will offer you the chance to use your technical skills to make a contribution to a wide range of systems engineering and assurance projects. This includes working with design organisations, operators and in technology development and research. We also work with the regulators in the development of Regulation and Standards.
The successful candidates will be able to work with clients (MoD, Design Organisations, Original Equipment Manufacturers and Supply Chain) to provide Software Assurance support for new and in-service systems.
The majority of the work will be providing Software Assurance support within the defence environment focussed on providing assurance through the creation of Safety and Certification artefacts or assessment of compliance against regulation and standards. The variety of projects is interesting and constantly changing across land, sea and air, including new technologies like AI or autonomous vehicles.
With a strong technical background, the successful candidate will lead and manage projects and identify, develop and capture new opportunities.
The successful applicant will meet the following minimum requirements:
- An excellent track record in managing software development programmes or providing software assurance consultancy.
- A good understanding of the software life cycle and design principles, particularly when applied to applications where there are safety implications associated with degraded or abnormal performance.
- A comprehensive understanding of standards such as DO-178B/C, IEC 61508 (or sector specific derivatives), IEC 60880, EN50128, DO-254, DO-278, Def Stan 00-055.
- The ability to assess software processes, tools and evidence for compliance against software standards.
- Knowledge and experience of systems engineering with the ability to understand client requirements, unpack complex certification challenges and develop solution strategies.
A good systems engineering perspective and a good appreciation of the system and platforms in which the Software/PES operates.
It is to your advantage if you meet some or all the following additional requirements:
- A degree in an Engineering, Computer Science, Safety or related subject; or similar experience gained through previous employment;
- Be CEng/IEng accredited or a desire to work towards it with mentored professional development;
- Project and Technical Management experience. We are looking for talented individuals, with a Systems Engineering mind-set and the ability to lead consultancy assignments; helping shape client needs, providing technical leadership and integration, and assuring the quality of our outputs;
- Recent experience within Design Organisations, OMEs and/or their supply chains;
- Understanding of appropriateness and equivalence across UK, European and International certification regulatory standards;
- Knowledge and experience of safety assessment and analysis techniques and application across a variety of systems and platforms.
In addition, the applicant will need to display evidence of:
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills;
- Good problem solving skills;
- Good business acumen;
- Technical Leadership.
Personal development is an important aspect and successful candidates will have access to professional development opportunities, training opportunities and conference attendance.