Closing date for this role is 3rd February but we would encourage early applications.
Salary range £35,000 to £50,000 per annum
At Frazer-Nash we pride ourselves in using cutting edge engineering methods to help our clients address high value technical challenges. We are growing, and are looking for talented engineers to join us in supporting our clients by providing: system and detailed performance assessments; explosive atmosphere management and ventilation services; and support to the design, operation, substantiation and safety justifications of fluid systems and components. We are part of the energy business unit, which supports clients in a wide range of industries, including the hydrogen, nuclear power, renewable power, turbomachinery, defence, aviation, rail and government sectors.
Does this sound like you?
- Do you enjoy finding practical solutions to fluid engineering challenges in different contexts – perhaps delivering high quality technical analysis of flow and process systems concepts/designs, or analysing and understanding challenges with existing plant and working with clients to resolve them?
- Are you committed to keeping people safe, using your skills to identify and quantify the risks associated with hazards such as gas leaks/dispersion, blast or fire and then to recommend proportionate mitigations?
- Would you be energised by shaping our future plans around decarbonisation and low-carbon energy systems, including developing, tailoring and aligning skills and experience to clients needs?
- Do you enjoy developing new business by identifying/engaging with existing and potential clients, developing relationships and writing high-quality winning bids?
- Do you like to take ownership of your work, whether working with colleagues from different backgrounds to deliver multidisciplinary projects, or acting as a project manager or technical lead to deliver technical work to quality, time and cost?
- Whatever the project, you’ll enjoy being part of a close-knit and capable team, whether working with colleagues to deliver a range of projects to external clients, or alongside clients in embedded roles.
- Proactive in developing your skills and delivering your work, you won’t hesitate to reach out to colleagues for advice and support when needed, and to share your experience to support others.
If this is you, we would love to hear from you. Our projects are diverse and can last from a few weeks to many years of sustained support. Frazer-Nash empowers its staff to manage the delivery of the project themselves at an early stage in their careers. Working within a group, you will typically be involved with multiple projects at once, meeting and communicating with customers to understand their requirements and managing your projects to deliver the desired outcomes and insights.
The successful applicant will meet the following minimum requirements:
- You’ll enjoy using your solid understanding of practical thermo-fluid mechanics, gained from a Master’s Degree in Engineering, a PhD, or a similar level of training, to perform fluids and thermal hand calculations, system level flow assurance assessments and detailed fluids and thermal analysis.
- You’ll enjoy using your skills and experience to address technical challenges in fluid flow and heat transfer and developing proportionate, appropriate, and credible solutions.
- You’ll have performed hazard/consequence analysis (e.g. using Phast, Fred, Flacs etc) to support qualitative risk assessment processes, using proportionate analysis work to understand/justify the safety of plant, and recommend design solutions.
- You’ll be able to use your communication skills to engage effectively with project stakeholders internally and externally, both verbally and through crisp and focused writing.
- You’ll be flexible enough to work across industries, but have experience in delivering solutions in low carbon energy, for example in the hydrogen or nuclear industries.
It is to your advantage if you meet any or all the following additional requirements:
- Consultancy experience, identifying and approaching new clients, understanding their challenges, developing proposals to address these, delivering project work and developing productive and lasting client relationships.
- Experience of using detailed modelling approaches such as Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) to understand complex flow fields and heat transfer (e.g. using Fluent, CFX, Star-CCM etc).
- Experience of supporting fluid process system design processes, including supporting activities such as developing requirements and design substantiation that feed into the overall safety justification of plant (e.g. using Hysys, Unisim, Flomaster, Amesim etc).
- Achieved, or close to achieving chartered engineer status, and/or professional process safety engineer status (e.g. with the IMechE or IChemE).
The nature of our work means that we sometimes require staff to access Government material, it is therefore necessary for our employees to gain appropriate security clearance. We will apply for clearance if you have successfully been selected for a position. Any offer of employment is subject to required clearance being obtained.
Frazer-Nash Consultancy to provide energy generation and distribution technical support to the UK’s £1bn Net Zero Innovation Portfolio
BEIS has awarded its Technical Third Party Support contract for the Net Zero Innovation Portfolio, ‘Lot 5 – Energy Generation and Distribution’ to a team led by Frazer-Nash.