Role locations: Bristol, Burton, Warrington, Dorchester & Plymouth.
Who we are:
Frazer-Nash are a leading engineering, systems and technology consultancy. Through our meaningful innovations, our experts help organisations make lives securer, safer, sustainable and affordable.
In a nutshell, engineering consultancy is all about providing advice to positively impact our clients’ projects and businesses and the wider world around us.
As a Placement Year Student, you will typically be working on multiple projects simultaneously, managing your time and rapidly accruing a wealth of experience and skills. Hence, no two days in Frazer-Nash will be the same.
You will be surrounded by experts not just in your systems and integration team, but also in a wide range of other fields – whether it’s digital or human sciences, we’re an interesting bunch.
We have a comprehensive Early Careers package that will help you successfully integrate into our business and meet new colleagues from across the organisation – last year we had over 100 Graduates, interns and summer placements and we are looking for a similar sized cohort this year so you will be joining with a large and vibrant peer group.
This is a role within our Systems Engineering and Systems Integration stream at Frazer-Nash.
This will involve working on a range of cutting-edge projects, spanning from concept development; systems design architecture; requirements elicitation, certification; regulatory assurance; safety case development and assurance; trials planning and delivery; autonomy; reliability and supportability analysis; and integration of next generation systems. This work will be across industries including rail, aerospace, energy, surface ships and submarines as well as future transport systems incorporating autonomy and AI.
Through a range of analytical and practical engineering techniques, you will enable our clients to influence the whole life solution. You will apply systems thinking across the lifecycle to ensure the solution meets the customers true needs. You will ensure it is reliable, maintainable and sustainable. You will work to ensure that it complies with regulation and protects lives through enhancing safety.
Here are just a few of the challenges we are trying to solve:
- How can we provide safety assurance to next generation systems on aircraft and drones, land and maritime equipment?
- How can we use model based systems engineering to understand space based solar power challenges?
- How can we continue to stay cyber-secure in a changing world?
- How can we use digital twins to assure new nuclear reactors?
- How can we use non-deterministic systems such as AI/ML in safety critical applications?
- How can we support the client to understand critical national rail, naval and other large infrastructure projects?
As part of the wider business area, you will pull expertise from across the company and get a taste of what goes on in different areas of the business. Our placement year students will gain exposure and experience in the huge variety of our work, and the chance to explore where their own skills and interests lie, whether that be a leadership or technical path.
You will have the opportunity to travel within the UK and internationally – visiting client sites, attending key networking events, perhaps sharing your work at leading industry conferences.
We're looking for people who can become:
As a consultancy organisation, we are looking for ambitious, intelligent, organised and inquisitive individuals, who can solve challenging problems.
● A problem solver: with the ability to critically question what you see, to solve problems that build on your technical understanding, and show initiative and ownership for your ideas and work. You will have the ability to deliver results through your proactivity.
● A team player: with the ability to work with others and different technical backgrounds. Build effective relationships through thriving in social settings and adjusting behaviour to the situation.
● A self-starter: with the ability and desire to take ownership of the tasks ahead of you and deliver them to the client, project or team to create an impact.
● A communicator: with the ability to discuss and convey projects and outcomes with internal stakeholders and clients who may be themselves in a technical or non-technical role.
● An evaluator: with the ability of evaluating information by understanding context and risk to make logical, informed decisions. Creating original and creative ideas through exploration and abstract thinking
You will need:
- To be on track to obtain a 2:1 degree or higher (or equivalent/experience) with a related Engineering or relevant scientific bias. Examples might include Systems Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Aerospace or Maritime Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science, Machine Learning or Artificial Intelligence.
- To be an open-minded systems thinker with a curious, collaborative, and creative approach to problem-solving.
- The ability to work well in both a team environment and on your own initiative.
Due to the nature of the work that Frazer-Nash Consultancy undertake, candidates will be required to undergo pre-employment screening and must be able to satisfy clearance criteria for UK National Security Vetting.
Our recruitment process:
Step 1: Application - CV submission
Step 2: Measure Potential - Arctic Shores’ task-based assessment. You will be asked to complete some exciting, engaging tasks which will help us get to know you better! In return, you’ll receive a personalised feedback report.
Step 3: Video Interview - Situation based & technical questions that are related to the important criteria needed to be successful on the role.
Step 4: Final Stage Interview - This includes a final stage interview with opportunity to learn more about what we do.
Step 5: Decision/Feedback - You will receive feedback even if we do not make the decision to offer you the job or progress you to the next stage.
Here's what we offer:
● The opportunity to join and learn with a team that’s as driven as they are supportive.
● A competitive salary: [£23,500 pro rate]
● 25 days holiday (pro rata)
● A company that has its heart in the right place and a welcoming work culture.
● Hybrid working with flexibility around life outside of work.
● Company pension scheme.
● Private healthcare membership + wellbeing support.
● Bonus scheme linked into company performance.
● Support and mentoring during your placement year.
● Opportunity to fast track onto our graduate programme.
● Early career teams and office socials.
And a whole host more...
Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply, as we believe that diversity and inclusion are fundamental to creating a dynamic and thriving workplace culture.