Who We Are?
Frazer-Nash are an engineering, systems and technology consultancy. Through our meaningful innovations, our experts help organisations make lives safe, secure, sustainable and affordable.
In a nutshell, engineering consultancy is all about providing advice to positively impact our clients’ projects and businesses and the wider world around us.
As a placement year student, you will typically be working on multiple projects simultaneously, managing your time and rapidly accruing a wealth of experience and skills. Hence, no two days in Frazer-Nash will be the same.
You will be joining either our team of Uncrewed Air Systems (UAS) experts in the UAS Centre of Excellence or the Airworthiness & Technical Services (Aw&TS) Team, both supporting our clients to adopt and exploit novel aerospace technology in new and novel ways.
What do we do? Here are some of the problems we help with:
- How do we help organisations make the most of drones?
- How do we safely develop drones that can think for themselves?
- How do we move to a greener and more sustainable aviation footprint, whilst also increasing the use of air vehicles in urban environments?
- How do we help embody and certify new modifications onto air systems?
This is an aerospace focussed role within our Systems stream at Frazer-Nash.
Our UAS Team: Our placement students will work on a range of cutting edge UAS projects, spanning from technology road mapping, concept development, hardware and software design, certification, regulatory assurance, safety case development, trials planning and delivery, Beyond Visual Line of Sight (BVLOS) operations, autonomy, and integration of next generation systems. All of this enables our clients to unlock the potential of adopting UAS, such as the emergency services using drones for life-critical response, increasing the benefits of drone use around our national linear infrastructure, and supporting the efforts of the Future Flight Challenge.
Our AwTS team: You will be supporting a wide range of aerospace projects in one of the fastest growing engineering areas. We are pleased to have a recognised and growing array of clients and have worked on a wide range of projects including introduction of new/alternative power source (e.g. Hydrogen, Battery, Sustainable Aviation Fuels (SAF)), developing technologies/application of technologies (e.g. Drones or ‘flying taxis’) to introduction of new capabilities to enhance ageing platforms. The nature of the Aw&TS’s work is that it is often at a higher level which would suit applicants who like to look at the holistic picture of a project rather than looking at smaller and specific elements in very fine detail. The team has notable experience in systems engineering, certification, regulatory assurance and safety case development.
As part of the wider Systems Integration area, you will pull expertise from across the company and get a taste of what goes on in different areas of the business. Our students will gain exposure and experience in the huge variety of our work, and the chance to explore where their own skills and interests lie, whether that be a leadership or technical path.
Through a range of analytical and practical engineering techniques, you will enable our clients to influence the whole life solution. You will apply systems thinking across the lifecycle to ensure the solution meets the customers true needs. You will ensure it is reliable, maintainable and sustainable. You will work to ensure that it complies with regulation and protects lives through enhancing safety.
You will have the opportunity to travel within the UK and internationally – visiting client sites, attending key networking events, perhaps sharing your work at leading industry conferences.
We’re looking for people who can become:
We are looking for ambitious, intelligent, organised, and inquisitive individuals, who can solve challenging problems. We embrace diversity, innovation and collaboration at Frazer-Nash and provide the opportunity for talented people like you to work on projects that make a difference to our world. We are looking for people that we can develop to:
- Deliver results through proactivity and a sense of ownership
- Evaluate information by understanding context and risk to make logical, informed decisions
- Build effective relationships
- Create original and creative ideas through exploration and abstract thinking
You will need:
- To be working towards a 2:1 degree or higher (or equivalent/experience) with a related Engineering or relevant scientific bias.
- To be an open-minded systems thinker with a curious, collaborative, and creative approach to problem-solving.
- The ability to work well in both a team environment and on your own initiative.
Due to the nature of the work that Frazer-Nash Consultancy undertake, candidates will be required to undergo pre-employment screening and must be able to satisfy clearance criteria for UK National Security Vetting.
Here's what we offer:
● The opportunity to join and learn with a team that’s as driven as they are supportive.
● A competitive salary: [£23,500 pro rata]
● 25 days holiday (pro rata)
● A company that has its heart in the right place and a welcoming work culture.
● Hybrid working with flexibility around life outside of work.
● Company pension scheme.
● Private healthcare membership + wellbeing support.
● Bonus scheme linked into company performance.
● Support and mentoring during your placement year.
● Opportunity to fast track onto our graduate programme.
● Early career teams and office socials.
And a whole host more...
Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply, as we believe that diversity and inclusion are fundamental to creating a dynamic and thriving workplace culture.