Air Systems Group
Development of a method to forecast workforce development over time to inform strategic workforce planning to help maintain and develop competency levels.
As part of a programme to promote skills and professionalism, the UK's MOD Defence Equipment and Support (DE&S) needed a strategic workforce planning system which could summarise current, and forecast future levels of engineering competence and workforce capability. This would enable them to forecast workforce development in the medium-term.
- Frazer-Nash worked in partnership with DE&S to evaluate the current metrics used to measure staff competence, skill and training.
- We then proposed introducing additional quantitative role profiling data that would enable our clients to gain a deeper and more appropriate evaluation of their workforce capabilities.
- We developed a bespoke software tool which could evaluate future competency requirements, by benchmarking the current competence requirements.
- The system was also able to model the workforce advancement over time, enabling the strategic workforce planning to be accurately evaluated.
- The tool required minimal client training. The software came complete with a comprehensive user guide, acting as an aide-memoire, which explained the projections and how to interpret the results.
Our clients now have a tool to help them evidence the fact that current and future competence targets are being met. The system enables them to model strategic workforce planning decisions; to explore and optimise competence development strategies, and to reinforce strategic planning decisions they have already made.