Job Title: CFD Consultant (Fluid Flow and Heat Transfer)
Salary range: £35,000 to £45,000 per annum
Location: Manchester (flexible hybrid working, with time split between the office, client sites and working from home)
Closing date for this role is 12th March but we encourage early applications
Frazer-Nash is a values-driven and forward-thinking systems, engineering and technology consultancy. We help organisations deliver innovative engineering and technology solutions to make lives safe, secure, sustainable and affordable, and we specialise in using advanced digital engineering as part of these solutions to help our clients address high-value technical challenges.
We are a growing business, and we are developing and growing our fluid flow and heat transfer analysis services across a wide range of industries, including low carbon energy and nuclear power, aerospace, process and utilities.
What do we look for in a Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) Consultant ?
As a CFD Consultant, you'll be empowered to use your technical skills to find practical solutions to engineering challenges in different contexts, such as:
- Delivering high quality technical analysis of fluid flow and heat transfer challenges, using a range of CFD software packages and hand calculations,
- Defining the most appropriate, proportionate approach to use for fluids and thermal analysis work in high-assurance industries like nuclear, defence, process or aerospace,
- Developing our analysis services, maintaining a clear understanding of industry trends and developing our business by working closely with clients and mentoring and supporting less experienced people,
- Working as part of multi-disciplinary teams to understand multi-physics challenges or support complex design projects.
What will working for Frazer-Nash as CFD Consultant be like?
You'll work closely and flexibly with colleagues on a variety of diverse projects, typically a few projects at once, which can last from a few weeks to many years of sustained support. We will support and empower you to manage the delivery of these projects at an early stage, meeting and communicating with clients to understand their requirements and managing your projects to deliver the right outcomes and insights.
Whatever the project, you'll be part of a trusting and capable team that maintains outstanding professional standards. You'll always take ownership of your work, whether you are part of a multidisciplinary team or managing your own projects to the right quality, time and cost.
You'll also be supported and empowered to develop new business by identifying/engaging with existing and potential clients, developing productive and trusting relationships, understanding their challenges, developing and aligning our skills and experience to address these, and writing high-quality bids for new work.
We value chartered engineer status, and we mentor and support our employees to achieve this. Working as part of a supportive group, you'll be proactive in developing your skills, reach out to colleagues for advice and support when needed, and freely share your experience with colleagues to support their development.
As a CFD Consultant, you will have the ability to demonstrate knowledge and experience of:
- A clear track record of delivering fluid flow and heat transfer analytical engineering services as discussed above. This should include experience in building, running and post‑processing models that include at least one of: multiphase flows, compressible flows, combustion, scaled-resolved turbulence, conjugate heat transfer, flow acoustics, and fluid structure interaction.
- Developing technical solutions in high-assurance industries (e.g. process, nuclear, defence, aerospace, oil and gas etc) within the related quality requirements.
- Using a solid understanding of practical and fundamental thermofluid mechanics, gained from a Master’s Degree or PhD in thermofluid mechanics, or a similar level of training, to perform fluids and thermal hand calculations and system level flow assurance assessments.
- Managing the delivery of technical tasks to the agreed time and cost.
- Using excellent communication skills to engage effectively with project stakeholders, both verbally and through crisp, focused writing.
Due to the nature of the work that Frazer-Nash Consultancy undertake, candidates will be required to undergo pre-employment screening and must be able to satisfy clearance criteria for UK National Security Vetting.