Job Title: Senior Process (Technical) Safety Engineer
Salary range: £60,000 to £75,000 per annum
Location: Manchester (flexible hybrid working, with time split between the office, client sites and working from home)
Closing date for this role is 15th March but we would encourage early applications
Frazer-Nash is a values-driven and forward-thinking systems, engineering and technology consultancy. We help organisations deliver innovative engineering and technology solutions to make lives safe, secure, sustainable and affordable, and we specialise in using advanced digital engineering as part of these solutions to help our clients address high-value technical challenges.
We are a growing business, and we are developing and growing our services for chemical process systems across a wide range of industries, including low carbon energy vectors, chemical manufacturing, nuclear power, utilities and transport.
What do we look for in a Senior Process Safety Engineer?
As a Senior Process Safety Engineer, you'll be personally committed to keeping people safe, and you'll be empowered to use your experience and skills to lead technical projects, engage with clients, and develop our people for example:
- Meeting with our clients around potential plant safety challenges and leading the production of a proposal for work to address client's needs,
- Leading and managing programmes of process technical safety work, such as hazard identification and review (HAZID, HAZOP etc), risk analysis (LOPA, QRA, fault/event tree analysis etc), consequence/effects analysis (such as gas leaks/dispersion, blast or fire), pressure relief studies, functional safety/SIL assessments, DSEAR assessments etc,
- Working as part of multi-disciplinary teams developing safe designs for new facilities or modifications for existing plant and supporting the development of safety documentation,
- Mentoring, developing and encouraging less experienced colleagues in planning and delivering process safety work, and participating within the process safety profession.
What will working for Frazer-Nash as a Senior Process Safety Engineer be like?
You'll work closely and flexibly with colleagues on a variety of diverse projects, typically a few projects at once, which can last from a few weeks to many years of sustained support. We will support and empower you to manage the delivery of these projects at an early stage, meeting and communicating with clients to understand their requirements and managing your projects to deliver the right outcomes and insights.
Whatever the project, you'll be part of a trusting and capable team that maintains outstanding professional standards. You'll always take ownership of your work, whether you are part of a multidisciplinary team or managing your own projects to the right quality, time and cost.
You'll also be supported and empowered to develop new business by identifying/engaging with existing and potential clients, developing productive and trusting relationships, understanding their challenges, developing and aligning our skills and experience to address these, and writing high-quality bids for new work.
We value chartered engineer and Professional Process Safety Engineer (PPSE) status, and we support our people to achieve these. Working as part of a supportive group, you'll be proactive in developing your skills, reach out to colleagues for advice and support when needed, and freely share your experience with colleagues to support their development.
As a Senior Process Safety Engineer, you will have the ability to demonstrate significant knowledge and experience of:
- Successfully leading delivery of technical process safety consultancy services in high-assurance and/or low-carbon (e.g. hydrogen, ammonia) industries, both externally with clients and internally with colleagues,
- Using excellent communication skills to engage effectively with project stakeholders, both verbally and through crisp, focused writing.
- Understanding relevant UK safety legislation and the processes used to deliver process safety projects in one or more high assurance (e.g. chemical process, oil and gas, nuclear) industries,
- Delivering technical safety analysis for process plant using technical software (e.g. using RiskCurves, Flacs, Safeti, Phast, Shepherd, Fred etc),
- Managing delivery of technical tasks to the agreed time and cost.
- Using a solid understanding of practical engineering principles, gained from a relevant Masters degree, a PhD, or a similar level of training, to perform process safety analysis.
Due to the nature of the work that Frazer-Nash Consultancy undertake, candidates will be required to undergo pre-employment screening and must be able to satisfy clearance criteria for UK National Security Vetting.