Role - Space System Design Engineer
Salary: £50,000 - £75,000 depending on experience
Closing Date: 29th February 2024 however we encourage early applications.
Do you enjoy developing novels solutions to complex problems within the space and/or clean energy markets?
We are looking for an innovative individual who can develop technical solutions, lead technical delivery, engage clients and build business in growing UK and international markets, but predominantly space.
Our growing Advanced System Design group is seeking to recruit a Space System Design Engineer to support delivery to clients’ and help them achieve their goals.
You’ll enjoy working as a senior member of a close-knit engineering design team, collaborating widely across the varied Frazer-Nash capabilities and engaging clients to deliver a range of projects.
In the role of Space System Design Engineer, you will likely be responsible for activities including:
• Developing innovative concepts and solutions, through brainstorming, scoping calculations and down selection processes.
• Leading the development of high-quality scheme and detailed designs with multi-discipline teams
• You will be expected to be creative and innovative to develop new ideas and sell them to clients or achieve funding to explore them.
• Authoring, verifying or approving technical deliverables including feasibility study reports, concept design reports, equipment specifications, design justifications etc.
• Provide space domain expertise and help disseminate this to others to upskill them.
• Support business development within the space sector by meeting clients, generating opportunities and writing winning bids.
Current programmes of work our engineering design teams are supporting include;
• Developing space based solar power concept design
• Design, analysis, build and experimentation of a plasma enrichment device
• Design governance to a novel ammonia reactor demonstrator
• Concept design of fusion reactor components and associated feasibility assessments
As you can see, our projects are very diverse and can last from a few weeks to many years of sustained support.
You will typically be involved with multiple projects at any one time, meeting and communicating with customers to understand their requirements and managing your project to deliver the desired outcomes and insights.
The successful applicant will meet the following minimum requirements:
• Good experience in the design of space systems and/or components (satellites, propulsion etc)
• Proven capability in the mechanical, thermal and structural design aspects of through the lifecycle of space systems
• Fundamental knowledge of the design process for space systems, including how all required systems are designed and interfaced.
• Willingness to work on non-space projects and do work outside of areas of core expertise
• Experience of business development activities and writing proposals for new work
• Possess a good degree in an engineering related subject.
It is to your advantage if you meet any or all the following additional requirements:
• Understanding of space qualification requirements for equipment
• Worked within and ideally has led multidiscipline teams
• Experience of bidding for work from UKSA and ESA.
• Ability to use relevant space sector tools e.g. ANSYS STK, Thermal Desktop etc.
• Ability to use CAD design software, e.g. Inventor, CATIA, Solidworks etc.
• Experience of cryogenics, plasma, magnetics.
Due to the nature of the work that Frazer-Nash Consultancy undertake, candidates will be required to undergo pre-employment screening and must be able to satisfy clearance criteria for UK National Security Vetting.