INTRO TO THE ROLE
We are an integrated strategic improvement partner to an international defence company involved in capital projects who is seeking to improve programme and engineering delivery performance and governance. This activity forms the core part of an organisational and functional transformation being rolled out across a portfolio of key programmes, with facilitation and training being conducted in a highly collaborative and supportive manner.
A Systems Engineer with a Model-Based background is required to support our client in the successful delivery of their most complex submarines programmes. Predominantly based within the Combat Systems team you will help the teams pragmatically apply and benefit from a model-based approach. You will be working in a blended team, delivering technical expertise within a transformation programme.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Demonstrable experience in the specification, design and development of complex systems, aligned to ISO-15288 (via Waterfall / V-Model engineering lifecycle frameworks).
- Knowledge of the system engineering lifecycle including delivery and be able to apply good systems engineering practices to your work.
- Responsibility for driving and influencing the design and development through coordination of activities in accordance with Systems Engineering processes, tools and techniques (e.g. requirements and acceptance management plan (RAMP), systems engineering management plan (SEMP), Integration, Test, Evaluation and Acceptance Plan (ITEAP)).
- Reviewing and influencing the technical requirements and architectural design for allocation and realisation of systems, sub-systems and specialist domains (safety/security/ILS/ human factors engineering) to ensure the logical and systematic conversion to a complete, coherent and integrated set of equipment level requirements and designs to allow sub-contract design, development, qualification and acceptance.
- Presentation of acceptance evidence at design reviews to senior and external stakeholders. Articulating a clear understanding of the technical risks associated with the area of responsibility at the review panels. Support the delivery of programme level design reviews, including stakeholder coordination, design baseline and voids management. Overseeing and input to the change management process and controlling project scope.
- Coordination and management legislative processes for system, sub-system and equipment design against legislation and standards.
- Experience in requirements management in DOORS – preferred.
- Knowledge and experience of agile principles using scrum framework – preferred.
- Experience using MBSE tools and techniques such as Sparx EA, Bizz Design, No Magic, SysML, UML, ArchiMate, TOGAF, SOSAF, or UAF – advantageous.
- Experience of Radar, Sonar, Underwater weapons and Above water weapons – advantageous.
- Provides technical leadership and capable of running technical working groups
- Communicates authoritatively at all levels to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Collaborates with and facilitates stakeholder groups to fully address technical Use Cases.
- Influences the client changes required to integrate and exploit the modelling environment.
- Presenting to a wide range of stakeholders including delivery of design review activities.
- Ability to help less experienced members of the team develop and transfer knowledge.
- Experience communicating with a broad range of different engineering domains such as Safety, Security, Supportability etc.
- Working with challenging stakeholders to influence and gain buy in decisions regarding approach and execution.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE DESIRED
- Experience of development in defence and combat systems.
- Experience in the submarine domain.
- Engineering management and planning of engineering activities.
- Working closely with project management team to ensure on time delivery.
- Risk management and mitigations.
- Understanding of delivering value through the model.
- Advanced usage of Sparx Enterprise architect preferable.
- Experience or understanding of Variant management or Product Line Engineering principles.
- Development of modelling profiles and meta models.
- Large team collaboration techniques.
- Chartered Engineer status.
- INCOSE CSEP.
- Experience of Business Change & Transformation approaches.