We are a systems and engineering technology consultancy that helps organisations deliver innovative engineering to make lives safe, secure, sustainable and affordable. Our people join us to make an impact on the world and to learn from some of the best minds in the industry. Our people stay with us because they value our highly supportive team environment and the career opportunities provided by our sustained growth.
What you’ll need?
PostDoc or Industry? Finishing a Doctorate is a big deal. For many, a route into academia through a PostDoc position is a well-trodden path but for those looking to apply their newly acquired skills in an industrial context, and gain some commercial acumen in parallel, then Frazer-Nash could be the answer for you!
Valuing Your Doctorate
As a high-tech engineering consultancy Frazer-Nash values the additional skills and experience that Doctorate graduates bring to our business. For us, the value you bring comes through a combination of specialist knowledge, a robust understanding of science and engineering fundamentals from undergraduate teaching, experience of presenting at conferences, and ability to engage with a range of stakeholders to solve problems.
Within our Energy Technology area, over 25% of your potential colleagues and line managers have themselves completed PhDs, DPhils or EngDs. Therefore, your like-minded colleagues are readily equipped to help you to make the most of your experience and skills, and tailor a career development plan for you.
We also recognise that finishing your doctorate is a stressful time, often bringing with it the ending of academic funding, the challenges of writing up a thesis, and thinking about what next. It is always easiest to submit your thesis then start your future career; however, often life does not pan out that way. Hence, should you wish to commence work before submission we are happy to discuss flexible methods of working to help you maintaining a healthy work-life balance. This gives you the comfort of commencing a new career, financial stability and importantly the bandwidth to enable you to finish your write up.
What you’ll be doing at Frazer-Nash
You will be working within a team that applies their skills to complex ocean physics and / or underwater acoustics problems. We use a range of approaches to solve our customers’ problems. Whilst we use complex numerical analysis codes, a lot of our work is based on fundamental understanding, developing both simple and complex models, as required. There is also the pragmatic engineering application of these ideas: design, integration, failure root cause assessments and support for procurement into service. Field trials and experiments are also undertaken occasionally.
As an Acoustics / Ocean Physicist you will be responsible for:
- Technical: Delivering high quality technical analysis of ocean physics and / or underwater acoustics. This will require a fundamental understanding and application of the underpinning physics.
- Being creative and spotting the links between your domain knowledge and the problems facing our customers, and developing value propositions based on that knowledge.
- Helping to develop new ways of working, adapting and applying new techniques that can push the boundaries for technical problem solving.
- Project management: Managing projects in accordance with our ISO-9001 accredited processes and acting as a technical lead on projects. Working with colleagues within and outside of your discipline to deliver multidisciplinary projects, often in collaboration with partner or customer organisations. Authoring and verifying technical deliverables.
- Consultancy: Helping shape our service development plans and strategies to maximise the value we provide to the global market. Developing new business by representing Frazer-Nash at conferences, seminars and prospective client meetings. Responding to enquiries and writing bids.
Our projects are very diverse and can last from a few weeks to many years of sustained support. You will typically be involved with multiple projects at any one time. You will meet and communicate with customers to understand their requirements and develop your project plan to deliver the desired outcomes and insights.
What can Frazer-Nash offer you?
We want to support your career development so that you achieve relevant professional qualifications including Chartership; All our graduates join our Professional Development Scheme, which is accredited by five professional institutions (IMechE, RAeS, IET, RINA & IoP).
Frazer-Nash empowers its staff to manage the delivery of the project themselves at an early stage in their careers. Reporting to your Group Leader, you will be accountable for your own work, but also help support others in ‘the team’, however that is defined.
Our people are at the very heart of what we do, they are the reason our clients work with us to solve some of their greatest challenges. At Frazer-Nash, we want all our people to feel they belong, confident in the knowledge that we value and respect the commitment they have made by entrusting their careers and expertise to us. We are committed to fostering a working culture that brings out the very best in our people, regardless of their circumstances, identity, or background. We want our people to be themselves, feel empowered to achieve their personal and professional goals, and know that we respect the unique value they bring to the company. In support of this, we encourage thoughtful behaviours and work to foster a collaborative working environment.